Professor of Bioethics and Medical Humanities, University of California, Berkeley.
- Professor of Bioethics and Medical Humanities, School of Public Health and Joint Medical Program, University of California, Berkeley.
- Teaching includes graduate courses in Public Health Ethics and the masters curriculum for medical students.
- Director, Advisory Board, Institute for Personality and Social Research, UC Berkeley.
- Affiliated Faculty, Human Rights Center, Philosophy Department, Kadish Center for Morality, Law and Public Affairs, Center for Child and Youth Policy, at UC Berkeley.
- Visiting Scholar at the Federal Reserve in the Community Development Division (2012-2013)
- Invited Consultant, University of Chicago Wisdom Research Grant (2012)
- Consultant on Neuroscience and Philosophy of Caring Research, UC Riverside, California (2012)
- Yale University Ph.D. Philosophy (2003) Porter Prize for Outstanding Dissertation Across All Disciplines
- Rockefeller Fellowship, The Center for Human Values, Princeton University (1997-1998)
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar, UCLA (1994-1997)
- Psychiatry Residency, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute (1990-1994)
- Internship, UCLA-Wadsworth Veterans Administration Medical Center, Los Angeles (1989-1990)
- Yale School of Medicine M.D.,(1989) Louis Nahum Prize for Outstanding Medical Thesis
- Yale College B.A.,(1982) Magna Cum Laude
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Appointed Fellow of The Hastings Center for Ethics
- 2011 Mentor Award, UCB–UCSF Joint Medical Program
- 2009 Teaching Award, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
- 2005-2008 Greenwall Faculty Fellowship: Autonomy, Emotions and Predicting Subjective Well-being in Health Decisions
- 2004-2007 NIMH Center Grant Focusing on Early Childhood Adversity, Ethics, and Social Hierarchies
- 2004-2005 Center for Health Research Fellowship, UC Berkeley
- 2004 Regent’s Summer Faculty Fellowship, UC Berkeley
- 1999-2000 Townsend Humanities Center Junior Faculty Fellowship, UC Berkeley
- 1999-2005 Martin Sisters Chair, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
- 1993 American Psychoanalytic Association Fellowship: Excellence in Psychodynamic Psychiatry
- 1983 International Health Fellowship, Mumbai , India
- 1983 NIH Medical Scientist Training Program: Award for Combined Studies in Medicine & Ethics